Saturday, November 3, 2007

Time Flies…

Summer and now the Fall have really gotten away from me and I haven't made any blog entries for 3 months. I have stayed very busy in my work as a psychologist at the VA Medical Center in Salisbury. I just received my first review and obtained the highest possible rating, which was very encouraging. I am very fulfilled in my work of serving elderly, homebound veterans.

Julie, Amanda, Emily and I were sad to say goodbye to my grandmother, Opal Spriggs, who passed away on September 6, 2007. She had been ill for a long time and was always near loved ones during her last days. Julie and the girls and I would go for walks with her (I would push her in her wheelchair) and we were able to do this just a few days before her death. I was honored to give a eulogy at her funeral and I will attach it as a comment to this entry.

Unfortunately, I was not able to attend my college reunion at Olivet Nazarene University for the class of 1992. I had gotten a few emails from friends who were looking forward to going. Julie and I would have enjoyed it, but with our recent move and my lack of accrued vacation hours, the timing wasn't right.

My cousin introduced me to geocaching and we went a few times this Summer. Here is a good picture of Amanda and Emily having fun with their cousin, Autumn, on 8-11-2007.

Amanda, Emily, and Autumn

1 comment:

  1. I don’t have any memories that are very far from my grandmother. During each significant turn my life has taken, from starting elementary school, to beginning my career, and from getting married to having my two children, my grandma has always been close by to pray for me, love me, and be a friend to me. She even gave me a whack with the yardstick when I needed it. I lived in the same house with my grandmother until I graduated from high school and have many good memories of sharing meals with her, talking, and laughing with her.

    I don’t think I have met many ladies with the fierce independence of my grandmother. My Grandfather passed away in 1973 when grandma was not yet 60 years of age. She drove and managed many of her own affairs more than 20 years until her declining health required her to rely on her children more for assistance.

    My grandmother was a very dignified lady. She had high standards for herself and always attempted to act in a way that would be pleasing to the Lord. She had great concern for the well being of others. Paradoxically, conforming to the opinions of others, sometimes to the frustration of my father and uncle, was not Grandma’s way.

    I remember my father trying to convince her that using the oven to heat her apartment was not the most efficient method. After a lengthy discussion on the virtues of using the furnace vs. using the kitchen oven, grandma agreed with my father, with no intention of following his directions, of course. I have always admired my grandmother’s internal compass and much to the frustration of my parents and now my wife, I think a little of my grandma lives on in me.

    My grandmother had a very full life. Ninety two years may seem like a long time, but when measured against the love of family and the beauty of a life well lived it was far too brief a time. I thank God that I was able to live in the same city as my grandmother the last 3 months of her life and was able to spend time with her each week. Just a few days before she passed away, Julie, Amanda, Emily and I had a wonderful visit with Grandma. I pushed her wheelchair outside and she enjoyed looking at the flowers, holding hands with her great-grand daughters, and sharing smiles with Julie and me.

    This is a good memory and helps ease my grief as I say goodbye to Grandma. I take comfort in knowing that although grandma’s time with us was far too brief, we will enjoy another walk together some day. Instead of helping grandma along, I am sure she will be prodding me. As far as I know, the Bible doesn’t have much to say about whether or not grandmothers will have yardsticks in heaven. I think grandma probably managed to get hers by St. Peter as she was entering the Holy City.

    ReplyDelete